Sunday, October 18, 2009

Friday October 16

Borrowed platte maps. Studied, planned, took off for one last day of hunting.
School. No lunch. J calls & found the "herd." Tried again for corrals but missed again. No lunch. Can we all come out & help with the "drive"? Tried to line up help to move them up the road 6 miles. Found 2 ranchers moving calves on the road. They agreed to help. I was to go ahead & block traffic, but the critters took off up the road before we were ready. Me & my minivan full of kids went behind praying. A truck pops over the hill; the buffs hop fences and take off in the prairie. I race ahead to block traffic. The bull stops hopping fences. The cows cross the road and take off in another prairie. The kids & I drive & wait & Taliah sings, "Till the answer comes, you gotta keep prayin.'" 2 1/2 hours later, the bull comes up the road with 2 4-wheelers. The cows are still out there somewhere. Kids & I go home to eat and start supper. 1/2 hour later, the cows are also back "home." J comes home and asks us to go build fence. We build until 6:30 p.m. and go home. He takes the kids in to Runza. I get changed for a dinner with girlfriends. I get home at 11 p.m. 1 cow is still missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment